Georgia ghost story of a young boy who discovers the tragic secret life of his uncle, lost behind the walls of a Milledgeville mental institution.

Written by Cynthia Morrison.

Cynthia Morrison and Tim Lange have recorded a narration of the story if you’d rather follow along

The almost non-existent breeze made the Georgia summers all that much more difficult to bear at times. I didn’t actually realize how well off I was, being able to play outside under the oak covered shadows, and not have to endure the calidity that my Aunt Sarah experienced in the kitchen while providing her gracious hospitality. A true Southern belle she was. I always looked forward to our summer vacations at Uncle Jack and Aunt Sarah’s farm in Milledgeville. I could stay hidden for hours in the big barn out back. Sometimes even falling asleep with an afternoon nap until I was awakened by the voice of Uncle Jack calling out for supper time.

One year I found Uncle Jack’s old army blanket covering the front seat of an old Ford pick up truck that sat in the corner of the barn. I took the blanket and some kite string down by the river where I gathered some sticks and constructed a makeshift Army tent. I gathered a few more sticks of a flexible nature and constructed a bow along with a few blunt arrows. There, inside my counterfeit stronghold, I laid down and readily awaited any invaders.

Suddenly I heard the sound of rustling leaves. Surely it must be the approach of the enemy. I slowly and quietly repositioned myself to see who it may be outside. There it was – pushing itself along ever so carelessly with those long back legs designed to spring at lengths that only a creature for its size could attempt. So beautiful and swift is the eastern cottontail. But at that moment he was a target for dinner stew in the eyes of this soldier. I pulled the arrow back and aimed. Waiting for the opportune moment…There! He stopped to raise his head and scan the area. As a raindrop falling from the end of a leaf my fingers moved ever so gently. “Boing” went the bowstring upon its release. I did it! To my surprise I actually hit him!. Although being the bearer of the lucky rabbit’s foot, four to be exact, he was simply startled by the blunt arrow that probably bruised him and free of penetration. There as a I watched, the nourishment for a soldier’s stew did make his escape back into the secure cover of the Georgia woods.

A bit distraught over losing my trophy meal I gathered the army blanket and made my way back to the farm where Aunt Sarah had one of her incomparable peach pies on the cooling rack awaiting desert plates after the main course. I got close enough to smell its tempting aroma before Aunt Sarah wiped her hands on her apron, then took me gently by the shoulders and redirected me to go wash up at the outside well pump.

In the evenings we would all gather for some social time as we enjoyed watching the sunsets, which sometimes I compared to be the same color as the inside of those luscious peach pies. The elders did most of the talking while I enjoyed a bit of target practice throwing small stones at the mailbox as I sat on the front steps. I’d often hear conversations about Mother and Aunt Sarah’s brother – I suppose he would be my Uncle Thomas. Although I never did meet him and then in a later conversation learned that he had died in a hospital from unknown cause. I never really asked for more information than I had heard about Uncle Thomas but did feel badly that he had faced his final fate. Mother showed me a photo of him once. A quaint man with darkness underlining his eyes. She told me that he was a dedicated deacon of the Oconee River Baptist Church. He would seat the parishioners and also provided voluntary maintenance of the chapel.

He had plans of becoming the preacher one day and studied the Bible with much enthusiasm. Then one day a doctor came and took him away.

It seemed that some poor soul had concern for Thomas’s health and had brought this to the physician’s attention. No one really knew why Uncle Thomas left us. Or they simply didn’t wish to reveal his secret departure.

I continued to stop by and visit the farm later on in life during vacations with my own children. They too grew to love Aunt Sarah. Unfortunately Uncle Jack had passed on before they were old enough to meet him. Sometimes I would drive Mother there to visit and return at a later date to collect her. Then recently the dreaded news came of Aunt Sarah’s passing. My being the eldest son gave me the task of sorting out the sale of the farm and contents. I planned a week and arranged for this chore to be dealt with right after the funeral. I brought along my mother for assistance as she insisted. I gave her the less strenuous labor of boxing up the clothing for pick up by the local charity shop. Although an emotional event for her at times, she managed by taking it slowly and insisted on it being done her way. After all, these were the sacred garments that covered her sister in life.

Powell Building, Central State Hospital, Milledgeville, Georgia 1937

I then decided to tackle the relics in the attic above. There I found Items that antique dealers would only dream of. Certainly the World War 2-era newspapers would sell fast. That is, after I scanned them in case any family member is mentioned in their print. Whoever placed them in the attic overlooked the chance of mold and pulp eating insects that have begun to destroy the paper’s existence. Yes, this would be first and foremost to be rid of. Then just under the newspapers I found what appeared to be a few hand-written letters addressed to my Aunt Sarah. I asked myself if these would be her keepsake love letters from my Uncle Jack, as he was briefly away as an agricultural advisor during World War Two? Unfortunately what I had found was more of a disturbing manner. The return address was from that of a “Sanitarium for Tuberculosis and the Mentally Ill.” The first letter signed by “Thomas” read as such:

Dear Sarah,

The institution allows that I write only every two weeks. I write to tell you that I have on the same winter clothes I came in. I cry until there are no more tears…Think of my being here in this clothing all these weeks! Listening to shrieks and groans which will haunt me forever. I am to never go out to see these wretched creatures. I only hear them. It is a madhouse and there are many incurables and all I pray for is to die right here. Dr. Bullard and another Dr. Carson swear me to be of unsound mind and they can keep me here always and of course they will. I can never get a position again. I am thoroughly disgraced, and then to be kept in a lunatic asylum – I either am insane or I am not.

If I am not, I certainly shall be here. If I am, then it’s right for me to stay. It is a monstrous crime putting me here. I beg to die but I can not. Just because I was nervous and could not sleep, to inveigle me into this bedlam is an awful sin….Keep our mother away from here if you can – and never let a child of yours, should you bear any, or yourself come here. I am very nearly over the borderline that separates from reason. There is more heinous circumstance but I fear to write it as my letter may be selected to not reach you. Oh it is awful and I can not get away! Holding on with best efforts.

May God Bless you,

Finally, I had discovered insight of the happenings with regard to my Uncle Thomas. However horrid they may sound. A skeleton not in the closet, but rather in the family attic. From what I was reading I could not detect any crime or even social offense that my uncle had committed. Just under the first letter was another. It was addressed from a Miss Millie Cross and read:

Dear Mrs. Perry,

We have never met. I was a nurse attendant at the sanitarium facility where your brother “Thomas” was kept. I am writing you with information about his stay there. Perhaps you may not be interested in the horrific details but I felt it to be the right gesture and therefore I send you this message.

Your brother in my opinion was just as sane as I am. Problem being that the hospital and sanitarium is in constant need of state funding. It is my opinion that Thomas, along with many other residents of this facility, fell victim to the cause. I am sure that you probably feel that my allegations are a serious matter. I agree. Therefore I have withdrawn from my position from nursing at the institution and intend on presenting my evidence to the proper authorities. I wanted to reach out to appropriate members related to those patients who I provided service for and you are one of them.

I wish you to know some of the atrocities that assisted in bringing your brother to his final end. Institution orderlies were instructed to carry out hydrotherapy. This entailed such villainous tactics as restraining the patient in a tub filled with scalding hot water in an attempt to calm them. Do you actually think this was a successful method? The only thing it succeeded in was hyperventilation and sometimes cardiac arrest.

Then there was the “crib” where a hospital bed with railings on each side was placed upside down and on top of another similar bed to create a human cage. Patients were kept in this cramped environment and with very little nourishment as punishment for their unsociable actions. It is beyond my comprehension how educated men cannot see that the violation being driven from these poor souls is directly from a cause that warrants rehabilitation and not punishment! I shall spare you further details involving your brother unless you contact me to share them. For now, I have a hard road ahead of me as I travel in an attempt to push reform of psychiatric treatment towards the mentally afflicted. Not only here in the South but nationwide.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors, Mrs. Perry.

With respect,
Miss Millie Cross

Staring down at the letters I suddenly felt an ice cold draft envelop me from behind. I found this to be a strange occurrence due to the fact that it was late in the spring and we were experiencing warm temperatures. The chill prompted me to sit up straight and adjust my shirt collar to shield my neck against any reoccurrence. I was sitting in front of a dust covered cherry wood storage chest. I began to open and close my eyes in an attempt to clear my vision as I witnessed the beginnings of writing in the dust upon the cherry wood chest. Being spellbound I sat motionless. Almost frozen with fearful curiosity. The writing stopped. I managed to wipe my eyes for reassurance that this was not an Illusion. What I was seeing was certainly not that. It came in the form of the word “Finaly” that was now written upon the cherry wood chest. The coolness in the attic room began to subside and temperatures returned to the warmth of the Georgia springtime.

What was I to do? Run and tell that I had an encounter with an unseen phantom? A spirit of times past that possessed poor spelling skills and had neglected to include one of the “L”s in the word “finally?” If I did, I was sure that certain ridicule would follow me with this tale forevermore. I decided to not mention this phenomena. At least not at that time.

I took the letters down stairs to my mother. Of course she began to cry. I asked if she had knowledge of these and she nodded her head Yes. She also told that this was the reason Aunt Sarah never had Children. For fear that they may become stricken with the Illness.

But when it all came out in the wash there actually wasn’t a hereditary illness in the family and that Aunt Sarah’s efforts were in vain. Mother went on to explain that they did not pursue any further information about Uncle Thomas as they felt he was in a better place now, spiritually anyway, and finally when the accused were finally found out, well, justice had been served alright. Thanks to the efforts of Miss Millie Cross.

I know this may appear strange, but I figure that when I soon contract the farmhouse with a real estate agent I think I will express to them our family request that priority be given towards a buyer with children. So that Uncle Jack and Aunt Sarah may look down and experience what she mistakenly sacrificed within her Milledgeville farmhouse. The sounds of life. Now that the skeletons have gone. Where the scent of peach pie shall linger for eternity.


Further Reading

Abandoned Asylum: Central State Hospital in Milledgeville, Georgia

About the author

Cynthia Morrison
Cynthia Morrison
+ posts

Cynthia Morrison is a graduate of the Burt Reynolds Institute for Film and Theatre in Jupiter Florida. She is an Performance artist, stage combat director and writer. Her works tend to lean towards historic content. Although she also specializes in works that speak against the suppression of women.

Leave a Reply

This Post Has 21 Comments

  1. Hubert Warnock

    Well…..something went on there. My mother was admitted for alcoholism or depression or possibly both in 1962. When she was released she was pregnant with me…..trying to figure out how to access her records.

  2. SV

    1) You’re wrong. Mental hospitals were hell. Read.
    2) Don’t tell someone she doesn’t know where her son was sent.

  3. Rachel

    Sorry Julie but many horrible things happened there and someone could just simply make even a false accusation to keep someone in there before more humane rehabilitation and community tactics came about. Along with new laws and outpatient programs. My heart goes out to all the ones that suffered there!!

    To Ms. Cynthia, this is very well written! You know your history to make an amazing story!

  4. kathy hutson

    my mom was there most of her life,, she would tell me all kinds of things that went on there,, no one believed her,,, but I sure did,, she could not have made all this up,, she was so terrified there but I was the youngest child and couldn’t help her,, I just hope & pray that God will punish the ones that hurt her and basically destroyed her life!! Thanks!!

  5. Milledgeville Author

    Thank you “all” so very much for your comments and kind compliments. It is wonderful to know that my work is so appreciated. 🙂 All the best for the new year. Cynthia

  6. William B. Coleman

    I am a former patient at the Central State Hospital in Milledgeville Ga nut house in 1969 I was 12 years old, probably the youngest one there, saw some crazy things, got in some trouble and escaped threw the woods and hit 441, hitched several rides to my Aunts house in Macrae Ga, never went back.

  7. CCH

    It’s not ridiculous. It was a crazy place. They did things to people that should have never been done. There is so much to see and learn of this place. It will break your heart. As far as CSH, yes most of it is closed. Some of it is still open. I’m not sure of what parts are. Also heard of work that is or will be going on to restore and possibly reopen some parts. Its sad to know of what happened there. I use to own one of the doctors old homes and the information and history found there will chill you to the bone.

  8. Julie

    This is ridiculous. Central State would never have taken it upon themselves to keep someone for no reason. They were terribly overcrowded. You’re feeding the myth that mental hospitals were places of horror. It’s simply untrue. And Alice Palmer, the hospital has been closed for many years. Your son was not sent there.


    I couldn’t resist commenting. Well written!

  10. Ramiyah Hall

    Central state is wrong. Back then they use to strangle people. The would eletricute people. Whoop them. Cut your brain open. And throw you in rooms. They will posion you. It’s hunted and spirits lie in their

  11. tracy burton

    My mother had me in this hospital and she told me they would electrocute her and throw her in rooms and do all kinds of things to her.

  12. Alice Palmer

    My son has just been sent to the Central State Hospital in Ga. Please tell me what goes on at the hospital in the present day. I want to contact my son. He called and left a number but I can’t get through with it. Can you help me?

  13. joe

    great article! my family moved to Milledgeville from macon, ga in 1968 when my parents took jobs at c.s.h. I was 3 and my brother 4, and we spent the next 10 years living on campus or very nearby. Central State Hospital was our playground and our back yard. many the night as we sat down to supper some patient would wander into the house, sometimes sitting down with us to eat or just watch t.v. I never remember being afraid, daddy would gently lead them out and walk them back to their respective ward buildings, quietly chatting with them. on summer nights when the moon was full we would lay sweating in the still night listening to the tortured shrieks and screams of the patients from the many surrounding buildings. driving down Vinson Highway was a horrifying experience for our out of state cousins because you could hear them screaming and moaning and see the arms waving out the windows. It is truly a haunted and haunting place, but to me it is home. sad to see it decaying.

  14. Beth Alston

    Beautiful and haunting piece. I had an aunt who was committed to Central State in the 1960s. She told her us stories about the scalding tub baths but we were skeptical. No more.

  15. Heather Carr

    Please sign me up for your newsletter

    1. Heather, you can sign up on our Keep in Touch page (left side of page). Thanks!

  16. linda walpole garza

    Interesting and well written story. What are you doing these days?

  17. samantha

    great story 🙂